TEXT: Acts 17:23; John 4:24
SUBJ: THE TRUE GOD
INTRODUCTION: To worship God intelligently and serve Him acceptably, a person must have a correct understanding of His total character. A warped opinion of God will produce a faulty worship and a misguided service. God's unique and unlimited attributes distinguish Him from all other beings, both real and imaginary. A perverted viewpoint concerning anything about God will lead to a wrong course of conduct.
I. THE EXISTENCE OF GOD - Hebrews 11:6; Psalm 14:1.
A. The atheist denies God's existence, but the Bible calls him a fool.
B. The Testimony of Creation - Psalm 19:1-3; Romans 1:19, 20.
C. The existence of a watch proclaims the existence of a watchmaker.
D. The Testimony of Instinct - Job 32:8.
E. The majority of the people that have lived believe in God and a very slim minority denies the existence of God. Tribes in the remotest sections of the world have some idea of the existence of God.
F.. The Testimony of Revelation - Genesis 1:1.
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."
NOTE: When one really believes this verse, he will have little difficulty believing all the rest of God's Word. This single verse refutes all the various false theories about the origins that men have invented. Thus: Atheism is false because God is (a fact-a reality). Materialism is false because matter had a beginning. Pantheism (this is the teaching that equates God with the forces and laws of the universe) is false because God was outside His creation. Polytheism (this is the teaching that there is more than one God) is false because there was only One God creating. Evolution is false because heaven and earth were created. Actually, all these philosophies are essentially the same. All theories or origins, other than the true account in the Bible teach that the present 'cosmos' came into existence by the operation of the 'gods' or the forces of nature or some mystical principle acting upon the previously existing material 'stuff' of the earlier 'chaos.' Thus, all other of the explanations of origins, whether religious or philosophical or scientific (so-called), are only different forms of the idea of evolution. It really takes more faith to believe in the theory of evolution than it does to believe the Word of God! The Bible is a miracle in Itself. It not only declares God's existence without apology, but also describes what God is like. After admitting the existence of a supreme Being we call God, the next question should be "What is God like?"
II. THE NATURE OF GOD - Acts 17:22-27.
A.. The people of Athens were not atheists; but, the evidence of their worship showed that they were grossly misguided regarding their idea of God.
B. God is a real Person - Hebrews 1:3.
C. There are those who speak of God as if He were merely an impersonal force like light, heat, or gravity. The Bible shoots this false theory full of holes by declaring plainly that He is a Person.
1. He can be grieved - Genesis 6:6.
2. He can love - John 3:16.
NOTE: He can speak, hear, rebuke, create, and judge.
D. God is a Spirit - John 4:24.
E. In His unveiled glory, God is purely a Spirit and in this state no man has ever seen God - 1 John 4:12.
F. God is a Trinity - 1 John 5:7.
1. Although the word "trinity" does not appear in the Bible, the principle of a Triune God is set forth firmly and frequently.
2. Great Bible truths should not be rejected because they are difficult to understand - 2 Peter 3:16.
3. The Scriptures teach the mysterious truth of the Trinity - John 15:26.
4. The term "Godhead" refers to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit - Romans 1:20.
5. The Three Persons of the Triune Godhead were manifest at Christ's baptism - Matthew 3:16, 17.
6. The baptismal formula sets forth the idea of One God manifested in Three Persons - Matthew 28:19.
III. THE ATTRIBUTES OF GOD.
A. God is All-Powerful (Omnipotent) - Genesis 17:1; Luke 1:37; Revelation 19:6.
B. God is All-Knowing (Omniscience) - Psalm 147:5; Job 37:16; 1 John 3:20; James 1:5.
1. God's omniscience enables Him to see the future so vividly as the present.
2. He can remember the past as thoroughly as the present.
3. He can observe the smallest details.
4. He can see all things, everywhere, at the same time.
5. He is never taken by surprise or caught off guard.
C. God is All-Present (Omnipresent) - 2 Chronicles 16:9; Psalm 139:7-10; Proverbs 5:21; 15:3; Zechariah 4:10; 1 Peter 3:12.
D. God is absolutely Holy - Exodus 15:11; 1 Samuel 2:2.
E. God's love is beyond comprehension - John 3:16; Jeremiah 31:3; 1 John 4:16.
F. God is unchangeable - Malachi 3:6; Hebrews 13:8; James 1:17.
G. Because God is unchangeable:
1. His unlimited power has never waned.
2. His infinite knowledge has never diminished.
3. His righteous nature has never been corrupted.
4. His absolute faithfulness is still unchallenged.
5. His great love has never grown cold.
CONCLUSION: There is only One God (Ephesians 4:6). He is the Creator and Sustainer of the universe (Genesis 1:1). He is the Keeper of my soul by His grace and mercy, not my merit (Titus 3:5; Ephesians 2:8, 9; 2 Timothy 1:12). To know Him is to love Him (1 John 4:19). Do you know Him or just know of Him?